When I stepped forward and volunteered to lead the Village Plan group last August, I was keen to ensure that our Village Planning process not only addressed the issues of immediate concern to the local community but also made space to consider how future changes and developments in areas such as technology, our environment and social behaviour might affect Hardwick in the future.
To this end, some of the sub-topics that will be published over the next few days might at first appear to be a bit ‘whacky’ and some might never be realised. But, if you are sceptical about the prospects for change, consider that:
* the mobile phone in your pocket is probably very different to the one that you carried in 2001,
* our children’s lives and world are very different to that which we experienced as children,
* the economics and politics of the UK in 2016 is very different to 2001,
* few of us in 2001 foresaw drones soon delivering parcels to our homes.
So, I urge you to suspend scepticism and disbelief and to step back for a moment from immediate problems such as pot-holes, double-yellow lines and litter. These are important and need to be addressed, but please also think about what might change in the wider world over the next ten to fifteen years. Consider if any of the impending changes are inevitable and which, if any, might represent opportunities for Hardwick to become a better place to live, work and play.
Please engage with the Village Plan. Help to make it your plan – one that you can live with and want to make happen.
How Can you Help?
A growing group of volunteers are working together to kick-off the process but its ultimate success depends on you.
We want to consult as widely as possible across all areas of the village and for everyone, particularly including young people in the village, to contribute. The Plan can only be as good as the ideas and community energy that is put into it. So,
- If you have any ideas on what Hardwick should look like in the future, what facilities it needs in the short, medium or long term, let us know.
- If you are passionate about some aspect of village life – transport, the environment, sports and social activities or just want to give something back to the community, please get involved.
- If you have skills or talents that can help us develop the plan or communicate and consult with the village, please volunteer some of your time.
Hardwick Village Plan Volunteers
If you want to volunteer, please email
If you have ideas on what Hardwick should look like in the future, what facilities it needs in the short, medium or long term, please email
The Hardwick Village Plan website is published by a working group endorsed by the Hardwick Parish Council.
If you want more information or have any concerns about any of the information published on this website, please email